Friday, October 06, 2006

V pervy raz v pervy klass

Third year of law school is supposed to be a time to kick back, relax, and relegate yourself back to hobbies you've abandoned through the rigors of the first two years. You've mastered the routine of law school classes, secured a job for next year (for the fortunate among us), and you can spend your days dispensing wisdom to anxious packs of 1Ls...

Not so for me... My first semester at CEU as a 3L is making up for any stress I've managed to avoid as a 1L. Right now, I am taking Corporations, International Dispute Settlement, and two Media Policy/Law classes. The upside is that the classes are excellent, the professors supremely clear, stimulating, challenging, and even entertaining. The students are from everywhere in Eastern Europe and far beyond, and I find myself learning as much from them as from the textbooks - both about their respective legal regimes and everyday lives. Classrooms are packed with relentless ambition and determined discipline. Each day, class discussions are on the edge of imploding into mini-civil wars and personality conflicts worthy of day-time TV. I love it.

Once again, I feel engaged, challenged, and intellectually, in just the right place at just the right time. In other words, I feel like a 1L again - with all the bewilderment, anxieties, and stark realizations that in 2 years of law school, I know little about law, and in 27 years of life, next to nothing about life.

No comments: